Diocesan and Community Capacity Building
VISIONEmpowered and self-reliant communities who identify their own solutions to poverty.
AIMTo enable the most marginalized communities to acquire the knowledge, skills & resources they need to determine and manage their own solutions to development.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES / RATIONALEST 's Capacity Building programme builds on the evidence that there is an urgent need for strategic provision of technical, financial and administrative support to diocesan development structures to increase their ability to plan, implement and manage development initiatives respond to local needs and actively engage local communities in decision-making and in development processes.
The programme is implemented from a holistic perspective focusing on understanding the root causes of poverty, removing constraints and creating opportunities and choices for livelihood improvement. The Livelihoods and Rights-based Approach (LRA) and other asset-based community development approaches are the mainstay of the community engagement. Target groups are seen as key players in their own development.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Goal 4: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Goal 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all
- Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development
- To unlock the developmental potential of Community Based Organisations (CBOs) as agents of change within communities
- To provide development training and mentorship which enables marginalised communities to access services and mobilise resources
- To pilot and exchange identified programmes as best practice models
- Organisational Development and fundraising Training
- Co-ordination Funding and Mentoring Support
WHEREThe programme is spread all over the SACBC territory, which includes areas in the nine provinces of the Republic of South Africa (RSA).
Currently targeted Dioceses:
- Direct Beneficiaries: Dioceses of Umzimkhulu, Polokwane, Dundee, Eshowe and Rustenburg
- Partners: government departments and agencies, service providers, local NGOs and other Catholic Church agencies.