Early Childhood Development Programme
VISIONThat all Children are properly Fed, Cared for, Educated and Loved.
AIMTo engage organisations and individuals linked to feeding, caring for, educating and protecting young children in ways that support their development and growth.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES /RATIONALEEarly years are critical for the establishment of emotional, nutritional, educational and social foundations. These provide the building blocks of potential success for the rest of an individual's life.
ECD also provides an employment opportunity for women and a safe place where working parents can leave their children.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages
- To harmonise and improve standards of service-delivery for young children (0-5 years) in poor communities
- To strengthen democratic and governance structures linked to ECD at grassroots, local, provincial and national levels
- Conduct surveys of the ECD sites within targeted Dioceses to establish baseline data and create a database of the ECD sites.
- From the baseline data establish in dialogue with the relevant stakeholders a set of strategic interventions to improve the services for young children affected by poverty
- Facilitate the formation of Dicoesan ECD Associations
- Provide a "Road Map" for organisational and infrastructural requirements to improve services to young children affected by poverty
- Provide training: financial administration and record keeping /Good governance rationale and Family support training
- Initiate food gardens as a point of engagement with the parents/guardians and wider community to create a circle of support
- Explore options for widening the safety network to better support vulnerable children in the community (those who are not attending preschool) Lobby relevant government and church structures to better support these centres
- Monitor and evaluate impact of interventions and develop scalable programmes to be rolled out in targeted dioceses with communities affected by poverty.
WHERECurrently targeted Dioceses:
- Direct Beneficiaries: Dioceses of Pretoria, Kleksdorp, Wibank and Rustenburg
- Indirect Beneficiaries: groups such as women, children, the elderly and the unemployed.
- Partners: government departments and agencies, service providers, local NGOs and other Catholic Church agencies.